Friday, July 8, 2011

Yo, Yao Ming retires

In the wake of Yao Ming's reported retirement, I'd like to share some thoughts & memories on the Chinese basketball ambassador.

I saw Yao play once in 2005 at Conseco Fieldhouse against the Pacers. I admittedly don't remember much of the game itself (I was only 14), but I do remember there was quite a lot of boisterous Yao fans dispersed around the arena, with an even larger Yao contingency clustered in the upper-deck, periodically draping and waving a large Chinese flag whenever he used his enormous 7'6" frame to his advantage.

And that's what's sad about his career. He had the tools. At times, his game was effortless and beautiful; the way he would just flick those 10 foot jumpers at full extension was virtually unblockable, with one infamous exception. At others, like during his debilitating injury stints, it was tragic. He had the support. He brought an unprecedented unity--once thought a dream-- between the people of China and American professional basketball, while simultaneously popularizing the sport in the world's most populous country. (I worked with a Chinese native named Edward this past semester whose eyes lit up whenever I brought up Yao. He told me how famous he is in China). We wanted him to succeed, but ultimately, his injuries derailed him.

Today on Around The Horn, Los Angeles journalist Bill Plaschke said he thought Yao should be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. As an ambassador, yes. A player, no. Sadly, his statistical and historical credentials are not good enough to enter the Hall, but as Edward as witness, he pioneered a movement in Asia, and for that, he should be recognized by some judging power.

I'll end with this:
Yo indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment